Tuesday, May 13, 2014

A HEADBANGER'S ULTIMATE STRIKE OF THE BEAST FEAST: EXODUS, SUICIDAL TENDENCIES AND SLAYER ALL IN THE SAME NIGHT!!

                    I experienced one  of the greatest Witching Hours of  heavy metal I have ever seen and heard this past Saturday, May 10th, 2014 at the Fillmore Auditorium in Denver Colorado: I got to see my favorite speed metal band on the planet, EXODUS. I got to see the funky, yet punky and heavy SUICIDAL TENDENCIES, and I got to see the mighty Pharaohs of Thrash Metal themselves, the incomparable Diabolus in Musica metal band, SLAYER!!!! I have a lot to tell, about how my cranium was assaulted for damn near three straight hours. Bang your head against the stage and metal takes its price indeed. My ears did indeed bleed!
                   After standing in the rain, waiting to get in to the sold-out Fillmore,  I kept looking towards the lacerated sky for red raindrops, but thankfully, we didn't get too drenched in any regular  rain nor blood rain. I knew that Exodus was on the bill first as Gary Holt is not only shredding riffs and leads for his band Exodus, but was also going to be pulling double-duty by playing in Slayer later that evening, as he has been filling in for the legendary late Jeff Hanneman: Gary Holt, in my humble metal opinion, is the greatest riffmaster in metal, and no person could have filled in more respectfully and deservedly for Jeff: Exodus and Slayer have been friends since the Bay Area Thrash scene exploded in the early 1980's, and my oh my did Gary do a stellar job. More on that later. 
                    This blog is about the concert but before I begin to write, I must give a little info on your humble author here. I have been a fan of Slayer ever since they released Show No Mercy in 1983 on Metal Blade Records, a fan of Exodus since I bought Bonded by Blood on Torrid/Combat Records in 1985, and a fan of Suicidal Tendencies every since Mike Muir just wanted a Pepsi: ALL of these on vinyl, so it tells you I am indeed a metal dinosaur. When I bought those records, I was an 18 year old testosterone-filled headbanger and now am a testosterone- depleted, 48-year old headbanger. I haven't changed in 30 years to my loyalty to speed metal and neither has Exodus, Suicidal Tendencies or Slayer to us fans. I proudly wore my Bonded By Blood T-shirt I have had for 28 years, that shows the famous Devil/Angel Siamese twins. (see below) 
                    Up first, was the mighty Exodus, and when the lights dimmed, I heard the classic intro sound effect of a jet plane crashing and I knew they were going to they crush into  the classic "Bonded By Blood" to start off the show. They then played the galloping riffed "Piranha",  the mosh pit opus "Toxic Waltz", the heavy "Blacklist", "War Is My Shepherd", and for their encore, the last song on Bonded By Blood, "Strike of the Beast." A short set indeed, but guitarists Gary Holt and Lee Altus, bass player Jack Gibson, the scowling Rob Dukes on vocals, and the octopus-like drummer, Tom Hunting gave an awesome performance yet again and were tight as I have ever seen them. I have seen Exodus nine times over the last 30 years and they have never sounded so good. Tom Hunting is  one the greatest metal drummers I have ever seen, and he was more spectacular than ever. They crushed our craniums and made us bang our heads against the stage. There was absolutely "No Love" and they made me thrash like a pissed off "Piranha" on "Deathamphetamine." 
                    Next, was the legendary crossover punk/funk/metal band Suicidal Tendencies. I have always wanted to see S.T. and never have, and they broke my punk/metal cherry in splendid fashion, opening up with "Don't Bring Me Down", one of my faves, and other classics like "War Inside My Head", "Possessed To Skate", and "Pledge Your Allegiance."  S.T.'s funky sound had you jumping up and down the entire show with their great beats and frenetic energy on stage. Mike Muir hasn't lost a step since he first wanted a Pepsi in 1984, and I was honored to have finally seen them live. Stellar performance. 
                    Finally, it was time for Slayer: The lights dimmed and you heard the chant of "SLAYER, SLAYER, SLAYER!!" What was REALLY awesome about this gig was that they played all their old school classics like it was a metal time warp back to 1983-1986! They opened up to my delight with the classic "Hell Awaits" something they haven't done since 1985,  and then shredded through other such old school classics like "The Antichrist", "Black Magic", "Die By The Sword", "Chemical Warfare", "Necrophiliac", and one of my favorite Jeff Hanneman penned songs, "Captor of Sin". They also slayed us all with later classics such as "Seasons in the Abyss", "Dead Skin Mask", "War Ensemble",  "Mandatory Suicide," "Hallowed Point", "Jesus Saves", "Postmortem," and "South of Heaven." 
                 They saved the best for last as a tribute to Jeff Hanneman. They played his masterpiece, the heaviest metal song of all time, "Angel of Death" as their encore, with a new green and white banner that read "ANGEL OF DEATH, JEFF HANNEMAN" in the style of a Heineken logo. I could almost feel Jeff's spirit on that evening, as Tom Araya (bass and vocals), Kerry King (lead guitar), Gary Holt (lead guitar) and Paul Bostaph (drums) gave a performance of epic Slaytanic proportions to their Wehrmacht Member fanatics like me. Tom never sounded so good vocally, Kerry shredded with his trademark aggression as usual, Gary was amazing, and how the hell he has the stamina to play in two of the most fast speed metal bands on the planet in the same night, is unfathomable; and finally Paul Bostaph, who I have seen play in both Slayer and Exodus before, was absolutely an octopus like Tom was behind the drum kit. 
                     This for me, out of countless metal shows I have been to, was the best and the most special I have ever seen for a variety of reasons: Exodus has remained true to their roots from the very beginning, and have been flying the metal flag proudly ever since. (Gary Holt,  you are my hero.)  I also commend Slayer for the same reason, never compromising for anybody, and for the courage to continue on with the passing of Jeff. I am grateful I got to see these three bands together in one special night and that I  finally got my Pepsi and got to see Suicidal Tendencies after being a fan for 30 years.
                      What an awesome show and what a beautiful unholy trinity of three legendary bands in one special night, and it will be a Lesson in Violence I won't soon forget.











             



1 comment: